Severe weather warning for the National Park

(För svensk text scrolla längre ner)

About a month ago, we booked one of New Zealand’s ‘Great Walks‘. We chose the Tongariro Northern Circuit for its stunning nature and views from the top and around its three large volcanoes (still active by the way) in the land of the Maori’s. Until now, we had been hoping to start the four-day hike tomorrow morning (Sunday 22 of January). We have been planning the trip in detail from the start point, to booked campsites, to buying all the food we need along the way and even bought warm hats and gloves in preparation for the alpine conditions. All this while deliberately staying in the area for a week to get ready. The problem now is the severe weather warning. Heavy rain and strong winds are coming in and the Department of Conservation (the government agency responsible for conservation in New Zealand) are putting up warnings around the national park and are advising hikers to reschedule or cancel altogether. So right now, the only thing we can do is to wait here in this tiny village called Whakapapa. We will be up early tomorrow morning ready to start walking if mother nature changes her plans. But if not, then we have no idea what we will be doing next. Please cross your fingers (if you are English) or hold your thumbs for us (if you are Swedish) that we will be able to start the hike tomorrow.

För ungefär en månad sedan bokade vi en av Nya Zeelands “Great Walks“. Vi valde då Tongariro Norther Circuit eftersom den utlovade spektakulär natur samt vyer från topparna och runt ikring tre stora vulkaner (fortfarande aktiva), allt i maoriernas (ursprungsbefolkningens) land. Fram till nu har vi förberett oss på att få starta denna fyra dagars vandring imorgon bitti (söndag 22 januari). Vi har planerat allt ordentligt, från startpunkten till slutet. Vi har bokat campingplatserna efter vägen samt handlat all mat vi behöver inklusive mössa och vantar då det är snö på vulkantopparna där vi vandrar. Vi har till och med hållit oss runt ikring nationalparken i en veckas tid för att vara så redo som möjligt. Problemet nu är de seriösa varningarna för vädret. Department of Conservation (den myndighet som ansvarar för bevarande i och av Nya Zeeland) sätter upp varningsskyltar runt om i parken samt föreslår att alla vandrare antingen bör byta datum eller ställa in vandringen de närmaste dagarna. Så här är vi nu, väntades på bättre tider i denna lilla byn Whakapapa mitt i nationalparken. Vi kommer att gå upp tidigt imorgon och göra oss redo för att påbörja vandringen om det skulle vara så att moder natur har ändrat sina planer. Om inte så har vi ingen aning om vad vi ska göra istället. Var vänlig och krossa dina fingrar (om du är engelsman) eller håll dina tummar för oss (om du är svensk) att vi kan och får starta vandringen imorgon.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s